Tomorrow is my first day at Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F). After interviewing with them last week, I found out I was offered the position and my manager-to-be informed me that I must wear Abercrombie clothing while working. I’m not just talking about a shirt, he said I must be head-to-toe in Abercrombie. I was handed a "look book" that provides guidelines for what employees must wear. Although I think the clothes are cute, they don’t fit my body type! By no means am I obese, however, I am a curvy girl. These clothes consist of short-shorts and midriff-baring tops. What’s more is that I am responsible for purchasing them. How am I supposed to save any money when I need to buy at LEAST 6 outfits since I am scheduled to work 6 out of 7 days per week? I’ll need to cut down on groceries this week but I guess since it’s summer, losing weight might not be so bad. Maybe if I look good I’ll be promoted quicker…
There’s a lot for me to do to look my best tomorrow. I was told that I must wear natural-looking makeup and that my hair must be a “normal” color. Also, I can’t have any fake nails so I need to take my acrylics off (not so pleasant… those of you who’ve had them know what I mean). So tonight I plan on dying my hair all brown to get rid of a few pink streaks I put in for fun. Also, I’m straightening my curly hair, buying a tanning bed package and rubbing my thighs with cellulite-reducing cream. Hopefully this will make me look good in the summer-esque clothing I am being forced to wear since all employees must dress in-season.
Speaking of employees, I’m excited to get to know my new ones! I was hoping that the members of the group interview I went to would be on the floor working with me but A&F has two types of employees, brand representatives and stock people. The brand reps (shopgirls) walk around the store, fold clothes, help customers and work the cash register. Stock people work in the back with new shipments and fold in the back rooms. From some friends I have talked to, supposedly the “prettier” people are kept in front and the “plainer” people get the stock room jobs. Although I want to feel like it’s a compliment that I was kept in front, I can’t help but be disgusted by this company’s tactics. But, a job is a job and I need to survive in this economy. There's really no time for me to be picky right now. With no college experience, this is all I could find, so I guess I’m going to be relying on my looks for a while.